May 15, 2010

The Secret of Successful Language Learning


We asked two experienced teachers of English for their opinion. Alastair Banton is a teacher at a private language school in the UK. He has also taught English in Japan. I think the most important thing is that you really have to want to learn the language - without that, you won't get very far. You also have to believe that you will do it ... imagine yourself using the language confidently, and think, 'Yes, I can do that1.


Then there are other things: of course you need to work hard, but at the same time you need to enjoy it and not get frustrated when you feel you're not making much progress. And you have to be realistic - learning a language takes time, and you can't expect to know and understand everything in a few weeks!

Also, you should try to 'develop an ear' for the language - not only to recognise the sounds of the language and to understand what people are saying, but also notice the exact words and phrases that people use ... and then try to use them yourself. Some people can do this naturally, but others have to learn how to do it - that's where having a good teacher is important!

Teresa Pelc is a teacher of English in Poland. She has taught English in a secondary school for a number of years.


For me, motivation is the most important thing. You have to be ready to study grammar, read a lot, listen to English songs, radio and TV, and what's more you have to do these things systematically.

It is so easy to forget what you have just learnt ... that's why I needed a teacher to force me to study. Even the most motivated students need that extra push sometimes. I believe that only a very few people can learn a language on their own.

Learning a language can be quite stressful, especially for adults ... suddenly, we speak like children and make fools of ourselves! But if you're motivated, you learn to overcome this. It all sounds like very hard work - and it is. It is also very enjoyable - I praise my students for every thing they do well, however small it is. Many of them are very successful and speak English better than me, and some of them have even become English teachers themselves!

If you have enjoyed reading this article, then please e-mail this blog to your friend by using Email Post icon below. Or simply tell your friends about our blog. :--))))

3 comments:

  1. Very useful! I make a not that both teacher said at first that we should be motivated! It's really so, because than I want to do something it turn out, but if I don't want it takes me a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ''develop an ear'' I definitely agree with this. You should develop it. When I was learning English, it took 1.5 years to understand movies in English. I did not give up and I was watching 3-4 times every week (same movie). I was watching action and comedy movies which were interesting for me even if I would not understand what they were saying. At least I used to enjoy their actions and funny movements.

    I also agree with a statement that says ''Even the most motivated students need that extra push sometimes''. It is true. Especially with the teenagers and especially in Uzbekistan. No Push No Action!

    Don't waste your time looking for your ideal and best English teacher. Why? Well, because there are NO best English teachers. You are the best teacher. Those, who master English and speak it fluently and use it like a native speaker would do, are those who study independently a lot.

    Never stop and never say - ''OK here is my destination. I got IELTS-7 and now I can relax and do nothing about English for all my life''.

    ReplyDelete

Everybody has an opinion. What is yours?

ShareThis

Blogroll

Cool na? :) Now Learn How to create one by Clicking here